We’ve been getting a lot of questions about foam mattresses lately, including memory foam. If you’re on the hunt for an amazing mattress upgrade, you may be wondering if this unique material could change your sleep life forever.
The truth is, memory foam mattresses are not for everyone. Here’s an honest look at the pros and cons of memory foam and how to decide whether it’s the right mattress material for you.
Custom Memory Foam Mattress Pros and Cons
- It’s soft. Memory foam is widely known for its cushiness. After all, it was originally developed to give NASA astronauts extra cushioning during flights.
- It molds perfectly to your body. Memory foam doesn’t just cushion you, it also molds and contours around your body. If you want to feel like your mattress is giving you a hug, memory foam is the material for you.
- Provides motion isolation. Memory foam is one of several materials that can help you avoid feeling your partner’s movements throughout the night (and vice versa). The same technology that enables it to mold to your body also helps it absorb your movement.
- It’s quiet. Tired of hearing your innerspring mattress squeak? You’ll never have to worry about that with memory foam.
- It can be customized. When you buy a memory foam mattress from a custom mattress factory, we can customize it to your unique body, health needs, or unusual bedframe shape – whatever you need.
- It may off-gas. Memory foam is man-made, and it can emit chemicals with a distinct odor. This problem is usually worst during the first three days of ownership, although if you’re highly sensitive, you may need to wait longer before sleeping on your memory foam mattress.
- It may not be as comfortable as you think. The same sensation that makes many people love memory foam in the mattress showroom also makes some people hate it when they’re actually trying to sleep. The feeling of being almost inside the mattress rather than on top of it can be discomfiting, especially if you have claustrophobic tendencies.
- It’s usually not the most comfortable sleep experience. Many of our customers are surprised when they come to our factory showroom and compare memory foam with the other mattress materials we have available. People who walk in thinking they want memory foam usually end up choosing something completely different after they’ve tried out different options.
What You Really Need: In-Person Custom Fitting
If you’re in the market for a new mattress, your best bet is to come to a mattress factory showroom where you can try out different options. At Slumber Ease Mattress Factory in Marysville, WA, we allow customers to compare a wide range of mattress materials and layers, including some of our competitors’ products.
Best of all, our team can guide you through an in-depth custom fitting process to help you find the ideal mattress for your health and comfort needs.
Slumber Ease’s Custom Fitting Process
The Slumber Ease custom mattress fitting process starts with a conversation. We listen to understand your current sleep pain points and what you are looking for.
First, we will ask you questions to narrow down some options, such as:
- Do you have any health issues you wish to address? (This may include pressure, pains, back fusions, arthritis, allergies, and anything else your mattress could help with.)
- Do you often awaken from your partner’s movement?
- Do you have any temperature sensitivity issues?
After we’ve gotten to know you a bit, we can eliminate options we know won’t work for you. From there, we can come up with a starting point of possible materials and products.
Next, we will ask you to try out sample mattresses so we can determine the ideal materials, top depths, and core firmness levels for you and your partner. We will have you try out pairs of mattresses that are just a little different from each other until you get the best match. It’s a bit like trying out lenses for a new prescription with your eye doctor.
To learn more about how the custom fitting process works and what goes into a match, check out our previous blog post about custom mattress fitting. You can also stop by our factory showroom to get started on creating your ideal custom mattress.